Significant failings in HIV care for some immigration detainees in the UK

Bookmark and Share
Many HIV-positive people held in immigration detention in the UK receive substandard healthcare, involving forced treatment interruptions, inadequate clinical investigation and breaches of confidentiality. Moreover, people are removed from the UK with inadequate supplies of antiretroviral medication or against medical advice.

In a report released yesterday, the charity Medical Justice catalogued significant failings in the treatment of 35 people whose cases were brought to their attention. However as 29 of the 35 cases relate to one particular facility (Yarl’s Wood in Bedfordshire), it is possible that problems are localised rather than consistently experienced by immigration detainees.

The UK Border Agency (part of the Home Office) oversees ten Immigration Removal Centres (IRCs). They are prison-like structures, used for detaining people whose asylum claim is being considered, those whose claim for asylum has been refused and migrants who the agency intends to remove from the country.

Like prisoners, immigration detainees are entitled to receive healthcare that is ‘equivalent’ to that normally available through the NHS; this is an ‘operating standard’ for the private companies that run IRCs on behalf of the government.

Primary healthcare is provided within an IRC by private contractors. They should facilitate access to HIV treatment and other secondary care which is provided by local hospitals.

In 2009, the British HIV Association (BHIVA) and National AIDS Trust (NAT) produced advice on providing HIV care in immigration detention. They aimed to outline steps that should be taken to ensure that care is indeed equivalent to NHS provision.

However the UK Border Agency does not accept that their advice is policy which it must comply with. Moreover Medical Justice (a charity focusing on healthcare for immigration detention) is concerned that the BHIVA / NAT advice is not being consistently implemented. Their report describes numerous breaches of the advice.

source: dailyhealthnews.info

{ 5 komentar... Views All / Send Comment! }

kalpana said...

HIV positive is very dangerous decease... Thanks for sharing..
breast cancer
treatment

drcuba said...

My Name is SAM KOKA from UK, i am here to give my testimony about a doctor who help me in my life. I was infected with HIV virus in the 2012,i went to many hospitals,churches for cure but there was no solution out, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that i cannot loose my life, I lost everything I have my husband run away from me and also took my children along because of my sickness. One day I was in the river side thinking the next step to take if it is to jump into the river so that I can loose my life totally or just think where I can go to get solution. so a lady walk to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to him telling her my stories, she told me that she can help me out that’s the reason she normally come here to help people so that thy can be cured because she was into this problem before, she introduce me to a doctor who cast spells on people and gave me he number and email so i called him and also email him. He told me all the things I need to provide and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening he called me and told me that i should go for medical check up, called Dr Cuba for your solutions now at
drcubatemple@gmail.com add him on watsapp +2347038965900

drcuba said...

My Name is SAM KOKA from UK, i am here to give my testimony about a doctor who help me in my life. I was infected with HIV virus in the 2012,i went to many hospitals,churches for cure but there was no solution out, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that i cannot loose my life, I lost everything I have my husband run away from me and also took my children along because of my sickness. One day I was in the river side thinking the next step to take if it is to jump into the river so that I can loose my life totally or just think where I can go to get solution. so a lady walk to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to him telling her my stories, she told me that she can help me out that’s the reason she normally come here to help people so that thy can be cured because she was into this problem before, she introduce me to a doctor who cast spells on people and gave me he number and email so i called him and also email him. He told me all the things I need to provide and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening he called me and told me that i should go for medical check up, called Dr Cuba for your solutions now at
drcubatemple@gmail.com add him on watsapp +2347038965900

Unknown said...

BRING BACK LOST LOVE Are u disappointed in love or u want to get back your ex lover who is either drifting apart or has moved on but you just can’t let go: ignite the romance! battling with bad luck ,family ,business problems, time to change the way life comes to you! yes its destiny but it can be twisted a little to get the best out of life! don't give up yet, there is hope, looking for your dream job but the mission seems close to impossible: don't give up come to me! is your life not pleasant and you wish you deserve better; then you do! is your marriage at the verge of breakdown ,is there a divorce in the pipeline? get the results that you wish it doesn't have to be messy if you don't want it that way and alternatively you can stop it immediately or fasten it and start over again to minimize the pain ,the choice is yours! court cases at whatever stage: you can change the outcome! how to do this CONTACT MAMA SHAMIM +27710691249 Email: mamamukisa@gmail.comwww.africanspiritualhealer.com

Unknown said...

viewers all over the world please help me
celebrate the only powerful
(ishaka), the herbal spell caster who chased HIV
POSITIVE out of my life..
my name is REBEL RASHEED from India,I have been suffering
from this deadly diseases called HIV for 9yrs without solution,I have
been to several secret places just to get myself free from this sickness
but none could solve my problem,some rather scam and eat up my money,my
hope was already lost until one day I decided to share my problem
with a close friend of mine,and she took me to social media for a
search, as we keep on searching we came across this testimony of 58yrs
old woman who got healed of 7yrs breast cancer and another 28yrs lady
who also got healed of 11yrs HIV POSITIVE all through the help of this
great (ishaka) then I took is email:ishakaherbalspellcaster@outlook.com email:ishakaherbalspellcaster@gmail.com and email him,he responded and ask what I wanted, I explain my problem
to him,and he gave me the procedure to follow, and i obeyed whatever he
told me.and today I am 9yrs HIV POSITIVE free with medical proves.all
thanks to the great spell caster shaka.
he can also be contacted on +2349021214752

Post a Comment